Hate it or love it, yoga has proven to improve the quality of sex for both male and female partners during intercourse. From arousal to orgasm, studies have shown that yoga can help build stamina, flexibility, muscle control, strength as well as endurance for all areas of the body.
Your partner will appreciate the thorough knowledge of your own as well as their body that you will gain in the process. Yoga instills the discipline of being able to be present in the moment and to make minor adjustments to improve sexual confidence and performance.
An hour of yoga a day has been proven to make you feel more connected to your partner holistically: physically, spiritually and even sexually.
If you’re into having decreased levels of stress while improving your libido and ejaculation, here are eight yoga poses that will do wonders for your sex life.
- Cat/Cow Stretch
- Start on your hands and knees with your shoulders positioned directly over your wrists and your hips directly over your knees
- Slowly arch your back as you inhale. Lift your chest up and away from your stomach area as you extend your tailbone towards the roof. This is the ‘cow’ position.
- Exhale slowly as you lower your back and gently contract the muscles in your belly. This is the ‘cat’ position.
- Repeat six times with increased range of motion with each repetition.
The cat/cow yoga poses strengthen the Kegel muscles, which are the ones that contract during orgasm.
- Sitting Wide-Legged Straddle Pose/Upavistha Konasana
- Start in a seated position and stretch your legs as wide as you are comfortable to go
- Using the muscles in your legs, press your legs down on the floors
- After this you have the option of sitting straight while maintaining this pose or leaning down on your chest for a more effective exercise.
This pose improves blood flow to the groin region and makes you more flexible, all great things for intercourse.
- Lotus Pose/ Padmasana
- Start by sitting cross-legged with your feet on top of your thighs
- If this is too uncomfortable, you can just sit cross-legged
- Position your hands on top of your knees and connect your thumbs with your middle fingers to complete a chakra
- Breath in and out slowly and deeply
- Sit in this pose for as long as you like
This pose improves the flexibility of your hips and thighs while keeping you calm and more aware of your surroundings.
- Cobra/ Bhujangasana Pose
- Start by lying on your stomach
- Position your hands under your shoulders. Ensure your elbows are pointed backwards and close to your sides
- Spread your fingers widely and make sure your palms are relaxed under your shoulders
- Engage the muscles of your thighs to rotate them inwards so that your kneecaps face straight down and all your toes touch the floor
- Squeeze your ankles, big toes, inner thighs and knees towards each other
- Press your pelvis down on the floor
- Engage your core as you inhale and stretch your spine forwards.
- Slowly lift your chest away from the floor as you pull your shoulder blades towards each other
- Pull your body upwards and forwards using your hands
- Repeat this pose twice and hold it for thirty to a hundred and twenty seconds each time
This pose strengthens the spine and core for improved thrusts and better control of your pelvis.
- Bridge Pose
- Start by lying on your back with your arms rested on your sides and palms facing upwards
- Bend your knees as you place your feet apart the length of your hips
- Engage your abs and core as you get ready to lift your hips
- Lift your hips slowly as you exhale as you squeeze your glutes, hips and core muscles to make a straight line from your shoulders to your knees
- Stretch your spine and tailbone towards your knees
- Hold the pose for up to two minutes and inhale while lifting your hips higher. Tighten your core as you exhale.
This pose increases blood circulation to the chest and upper back while stretching the pelvic region. Tightening your glutes improves ejaculation and flow of blood to the genitals.
- Legs-Up-The Wall/ Viparita Karani Pose
- Start by lying on your back on the floor
- Stretch your legs straight up in the air towards the roof, perpendicular to the rest of your body
- You are allowed to use a wall to keep the legs straight
This pose improves blood circulation to the pelvic region.
- Child Pose/ Balasana
- Start in a kneeling position while seating on your heels
- Arch your back gently and stretch your arms forward on the floor
- You may also rest your arms and palms along the sides of your feet
This pose relaxes the mind as well as the body. You will have the focus to concentrate on your partner when you are more relaxed.
- Plow/ Halasana Pose
- Start by lying down flat on your back on the floor
- Gently raise your legs straight up in the air and arch them until your toes reach the floor behind your head
- Rest your arms along your body or against your back
This pose increases flow of blood to the brain so you are more alert and better stimulated when you are with your partner. It also stretches your back so you are at a reduced risk of back injury during intercourse.